Picture of the hospice's values saying, Caring, Courageous, Positive, Pioneering, Genuine

Our mission

Here’s why we have an important role to play in changing the way children and their families are supported.

Our vision is for a world in which children and young people no longer face life-shortening conditions. And until that day comes, our mission will always be to offer them, and their families, as much support, love and laughter as they can handle. And to add in our special ingredient: the magic of yes.

We’re also determined to transform the world of children’s hospices. We’re tearing up the old rulebooks, taking a fresh and creative look at the way things are done. We’re offering new services that have never been done before. We’re listening and responding to children and their families, rather than telling them what they can or can’t do because ‘that’s the way it’s always been’.

We only ever say yes

We simply don’t believe in ‘can’t’. We always, always, always say yes to children and their families. And it’s that absolute determination to open up a world of possibility that means we can make magic happen

We do new things

It was obvious to us that parents can face difficult news much earlier than children’s hospices have ever handled before. So we set up a service to support families during pregnancy and birth. No one else is doing what we’re doing to our scale. It’s so different, we’ve been invited to talk about it at international conferences. 

Only the best is good enough

The Care Quality Commission (CQC), which inspect hospices, rates us as ‘outstanding’. This puts us in the top 1% of all of the organisations they inspect. We’ll never stop working towards being the best we can be. 

We’re like a cosy blanket

Most children’s hospices are led by doctors and consultants, whereas ours is led by a superb team of nurses and therapists. This means we wrap ourselves around the families and co-ordinate their care for them. It can be mind-blowing for them to have to navigate their way through dozens of health- and social-care professionals – so we do it. What a relief.

We’re determined to go viral

Because we do things so differently, we’re very much in demand. That’s why we want to grow – enabling more and more families to benefit. Did you know that we can currently support only 15% of the children in our area who need us? We’re working hard to find the resources we need to reach the other 85%. We also want to reach other parts of the country, and to inspire other organisations with our approach.

We believe in joy

Time after time, people who meet us tell us they’re astonished that a children’s hospice could be so happy. The day we stop surprising people like this will be the day we put our coats on and go home. We believe in creating joy, holding onto it, and spreading it – and yes, you can do that in a children’s hospice.