The heart of our children’s hospice services, with a lovely home-from-home atmosphere.
Russell House is a place where children and families can enjoy their time together in an extraordinary atmosphere and where the answer is always ‘yes
’. Families can talk, rest and play here, and our specialist teams are available 24/7. Why not take a look at our video to see more?
All of the services offered at Russell House can also be brought to your home, though our Hospice at Home service (with the exception of our hydrotherapy pool, which would be rather sloshy to transport!).
A bright, happy place
Lots of people think hospices must be sad, hushed, institutional places – but Russell House is exactly the opposite. It's light and airy, cheerful and welcoming. There’s a huge playroom with every kind of toy and game imaginable, and another space designed just for teenagers. There are spaces for therapeutic services, reflection and prayer plus superb accommodation.
At the centre of Russell House is The Hub: a huge open-plan space filled with comfy, bright sofas, and a dining area where you can enjoy meals suited for every type of diet, including halal. There’s a big play area with loads of exciting toys, too.
- Hydrotherapy pool – a good-sized pool with sensory lighting and gentle water movement
- Music room – great fun for learning to play, just making some noise, having music therapy or even throwing a party
- Sensory room – loads to experience, including a touch wall, sensory wall, bubble tube, voice recognition and water bed with music.
- Counselling room – a quiet place to meet with our counsellor, although counselling can just as easily take place at your home, in our garden or in The Hub.
- Children’s bedrooms – these are not at all like hospital rooms. They’re ideal for when children need to stay overnight, or their parents are having a much-needed break. Children can even bring their own bedding, toys and posters, if they want!
- Parents’ suites – beautifully designed, exquisitely comfortable hotel-style suites for when you need to stay over with your child or are in need of a little respite. The suites come with every last detail plus extra little touches, like morning newspapers and cooked breakfasts.
- Snowflake Suite – Our Snowflake Suite is a specialist facility for those families who need to say a last goodbye.
We have a lovely garden which features a Sibling Playground and a big outdoor wooden xylophone. A lovely place to walk, sit and reflect, or burn off some energy! And, of course, it’s easily accessible for wheelchairs and buggies.
Visit Russell House
If you live in West Yorkshire or East Lancashire and have a child who could benefit from our services, we encourage you to come and have a really good look around. Just call us on 01484 411040 or email firstname.lastname@example.org